Sunday, May 3, 2009

Jack Kemp passes on

James Crabtree's blog post - My Hero, Jack Kemp".

I was never privileged to meet Jack Kemp as Mr Crabtree did, but he inspired me nevertheless. Actually, I take that back. I now recall that I did see the man in the flesh, as I attended a debate at Harvard University, where Jack Kemp joined Art Laffer and Bill Buckley to defend the Reagan economic program. That was in 1981. John Kenneth Galbraith and some other liberals were on the other side.

Jack Kemp's importance cannot be underestimated. We all owe a lot to Jack Kemp, because our prosperity of the past 3 decades is largely built on the legacy of Reaganomics, and the cornerstone of that was the Kemp-Roth tax bill. Under Reagan, tax rates were cut from a top rate of 70% to 28%, and the economy grew by one third in seven years.

He was a happy conservatives warrior who was revered, will be missed, but will not be forgotten. His legacy lives on.

No comments: