Thursday, November 6, 2008

Republican Core Values

One of the post-election challenges is going to be to repair the Republican 'brand' and also to update the Republican agenda and core principles going forward. To that end, we need to consider: What are the Republican core values? What are the words that would describe the core beliefs, agenda and values of the Republican Party? How should they be presented and how does it jibe with what people think of the Republican Party? Do officeholders and candidates live up to it?

Here's my take on the Republicans core principles: The GOP is the party of liberty, limited government, judges who rule on law and not make them, law and order, traditional values and family values, free enterprise, equality of opportunity, strong national defense, Federalism and Government as close to the people as possible, support for the truly needy, Constitutional rights and individual responsibility.

A libertarian-oriented proposer at Rebuild the party puts it in these terms:

The message of Freedom brings us together and is all inclusive, whether it be:
Freedom of religion
The separation of church and state
The right to bear arms
Free trade
Market competition
Capitalism
No Big Brother
The right to Life
The liberty to choose
Equality of opportunity
Protection of property rights
Strong national defense
No entangling alliances
Checks and Balances
Constitutionalism
Judicial restraint
...and on and on...

UPDATE 11/16/08. The Republican party shares its core values here http://www.gop.com/about/imarepublicanbecause.htm:

I'm a Republican Because...

I BELIEVE the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person’s dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.

I BELIEVE in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.

I BELIEVE free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.

I BELIEVE government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn.

I BELIEVE the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations, and that the best government is that which governs least.

I BELIEVE the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people.

I BELIEVE Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times.

I BELIEVE Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world.

FINALLY, I believe the Republican Party is the best vehicle for translating these ideals into positive and successful principles of government.

Rudy Giuliani’s 12 commitments in his campaign for President is also a good basis for basic GOP agenda and values items:

1) I will keep America on offense in the Terrorists’ War on Us.

2) I will end illegal immigration, secure our borders and identify every non-citizen in our nation.

3) I will restore fiscal discipline and cut wasteful Washington spending.

4) I will cut taxes and reform the tax code.

5) I will impose accountability on Washington.

6) I will lead America towards energy independence.

7) I will give Americans more control over their health care with affordable and portable free-market solutions.

8) I will increase adoptions, decrease abortions, and protect the quality of life for our children.

9) I will reform the legal system and appoint strict constructionist judges.

10) I will ensure that every community in America is prepared for terrorist attacks and natural disasters.

11) I will provide access to a quality education to every child in America by giving real school choice to parents.

12) I will expand America’s involvement in the global economy and strengthen our reputation around the world.

No comments: