Thursday, August 9, 2007

Mark Strama Explains His Support of Embryonic Stem Cell Research

Below is the text of a letter I received from Texas House District 50 Representative, Mark Strama. He was responding to an email or phone call from me in which I expressed my opposition to embryonic stem cell research. I don't recall what exactly I said but I'm sure it was in line with my comments to Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson, posted April 18, 2007.

MARK STRAMA DISTRICT 50
July 31, 2007

Dear Constituent:

Thank you for your correspondence during the legislative session regarding stem cell research. I appreciate you taking the time to share your views on this issue with me.

I support stem cell research. It is an emerging medical technology that has many possibilities to benefit the citizens of Texas. While stem cell research, specifically embryonic stem cell research, is a contentious issue, the medical benefits this research has already shown to provide include possible cures for diabetes, reforming damaged nerve terminals, and rehabilitating people with multiple sclerosis. I believe the lives of the millions of Texans and their families who suffer from these diseases deserve our investment in this promising and competitive field of medicine.

Thank you again for writing to me about this important issue. If my office can be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us at 463-0821.

Sincerely,

Mark Strama
MARK.STRAMA@HOUSE.STATE.TX.US

No comments: